Let’s be real, most people don’t bring their own eating utensils with them when they are out to eat. It is usually unnecessary because reusable forks, spoons, knives, plates, glassware and more are always provided for us (at least at sit down restaurants). But there’s one major exception to the rule, the straw.
It’s Only One More Dish
Why is it that everything else is acceptable to be washed and reused over and over, except straws? There’s billions of plastic straws being used, thrown away, and then harming the earth and animals everywhere, and we can’t take the extra step and use reusable straws? We are over 90% there already!
This became an integrity issue for me when I became aware of this phenomenon. Especially when I’m given TWO straws in one drink! Make that PER drink! The numbers are staggering. In just 3 hours, a typical venue serving 200 people will dispose of 600 plastic straws. You can see the numbers add up quick and we all know where those straws end up. That’s one major reason why creating Strawesome was so important to me. Anything I can do to shift that number down (and do it in a hurry) is worth it.
Glass Straw On Board
So to answer the question: Yes! I take my glass straws with me everywhere! To the juice bar. To the restaurant. To the wedding reception. To the park. To the mall. On a picnic. On vacation. You name it! And if I forget them, I still refuse the plastic straws and then suffer through without my straw (this happens less and less when you start building the habit). I might be crazy, but no matter how bad of a day I have, doing the right thing and being proud of using an alternative straw makes me feel alive and powerful every time. And people take notice!
Making Your Glass Straw a Mandatory Travel Companion
If I’ve inspired you at all to take your straw with you, here’s how I do it. As shown in the photo above, you can easily bring your straw along in one of our reusable To Go Cases stored in your hand bag. Because our To Go Cases are hard sided, they only fit our 8″ and shorter straws (yes, the bent styles fit, too!). If you want to take a longer straw with you, we have these locally made fabric pouches to fit our 10″ long straight or bent straws perfectly.
As soon as you are seated or place your order, mention to the order taker that you do not want them to bring you a straw because you have your own. We find you get better service after sharing with them why you have your own straw and they tend to remember you and your straw the next time you visit. The other cool outcome is when that person chooses to forward the message.
At the end of the meal when you’ve finished using your straw, shake and/or dry off any excess liquid and return the straw to its case. Later, you can wash the straw at home in the dishwasher or sink.
- So that you don’t forget your straw in a restaurant, keep the colorful carrying case out on the table. When you see the case you’ll remember to put your straw away.
- We always recommend that when you’ve finished your beverage, if possible, rinse out your straw with some water and then return it to your carrying case. If you drank something thick like a smoothie this will help you get the straw clean when you’re back to the sink and have soap & water or a dishwasher available. If you were to leave the smoothie residue in your straw, chances are it will dry inside it and make it more difficult to get sparkling clean.
- Our stainless steel Cleaning Brush can fit in the To Go Case as well, so bring one along if you know you might need it while on the go. The brush will not rust, so it’s okay if it stays wet for a while.
- Develop the habit of washing your straw and To Go Case and returning it to your hand bag or however you transport it as soon as you get home so that it is ready for its next use.
- If #4 is too much work, just buy additional straws and To Go Cases so that as soon as you get home you can put the clean set in the hand bag and the dirty in the dishwasher.
- You can fit 2-3 cocktail straws in one To Go Case. Great when going out with your spouse or friend!
I hope this has been a helpful post. My intention is that you will take your Strawesome Glass Straws with you on the go, spread the word, and help me close the gap on that last 10%! Your actions make a difference!