About Shedd Aquarium
At Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium, animals connect you to the living world, inspiring you to make a difference. From whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, you’ll meet 32,000 creatures from aquatic habitats around the world.
In Shedd’s Abbott Oceanarium, you can get face-to-face with more than 30 Magellanic and rockhopper penguins. Members of Shedd’s Animal Response Team apply their knowledge about the care of Shedd’s penguins to rescue efforts halfway around the world. Each year, during the breeding season of the African penguin, Shedd works with SANCCOB (Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds) to respond to abandonment and strandings of penguin chicks at the endangered species’ nesting colony. It started in 2014, when two members of the Animal Response Team headed to Cape Town to assist in the rehabilitation of more than 500 young birds.
This predictable annual crisis for the penguins has complex causes, but adverse human impact on the birds plays a large role. You can be part of the solution to decrease human impact on penguin colonies around the world. By choosing one of Strawesome’s glass straws, you can eliminate single-use plastic straws from your everyday life and help reduce plastic pollution that ends up in our waterways.
For more information, please visit their website at www.sheddaquarium.org.
Buy This Straw to Support Shedd Aquarium
This handmade Clear Glass Straw includes a cute little rockhopper penguin. Strawesome will donate 33% from each sale of this cause straw to support Shedd Aquarium.
Straw Dimensions: Length: 8″ or 10″, Outer Diameter: 9.5mm (regular)
5 Reasons Why You Need This Straw in Your Life
- We made this straw in the USA and it’s awesome. Our super fancy (aka borosilicate) glass is so amazing, it can withstand temperatures below freezing and up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll even find this stuff in the windows of the space shuttle! It’s also known as the same glass used in Pyrex®, but that’s not nearly as exciting as space shuttle glass.
- We’ve crushed down and lab tested all of the glass we use. It was really messy but totally worth it to let you know that there’s nothing nasty inside this glass. Unlike plastic, glass isn’t a porous material so it won’t leach into your mouth or drinks ever!
- You can clean your straw in the dishwasher. Yes, the super hot, sanitizing, easy-clean machine that is the dishwasher. We also sell a cleaning brush in case YOU are the dishwasher.
- You don’t like it? That’s cool. Just let us know and we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Except maybe, “What?? Why NOT!?!?” But really, it’s OK. Even though this rarely happens, we will put it to good use in our loving home.
- Each straw has a lifetime warranty. If you break it on accident (using it as a drumstick is not an accident!) we will replace it. We know you love your straw and will be sad without it, so we aim to make you happy again. Enough said!