Marine Life Threatened by Plastics
It is estimated that more than 100 million marine animals are killed each year due to plastic debris in the ocean and that more than 80 percent of this plastic comes from land. When we throw away or litter plastic items, they can wash out to sea from beaches, streets, and landfills. This pollution often kills wildlife like our precious sea turtles when they ingest it or become entangled in it. That’s why it’s so important to reduce the amount of plastic garbage we produce and seek safer, eco-friendly alternatives.
Millions of plastic straws pollute our waterways and oceans, harming marine animals, such as endangered sea turtles, that ingest an alarming amount of plastic. Each year, beach cleanups collect hundreds of thousands of plastic straws, which continue to make the top ten list of most collected beach cleanup items worldwide.
Strawesome is proud to sponsor Sea Turtle Conservancy
Sea Turtle Conservancy is the oldest sea turtle conservation group in the world. Since 1959, Sea Turtle Conservancy has been working to preserve sea turtles and the habitats upon which they rely through research, conservation, education and advocacy. Your purchase will help sustain successful sea turtle conservation programs throughout the Wider Caribbean basin including education and advocacy in Florida, tagging programs in Panama and anti-poaching patrols and local outreach in Costa Rica. Learn more about how STC is saving sea turtles at www.conserveturtles.org.
Strawesome will donate 33% from each sale of this limited-edition straw to support STC’s programs.
Sea Turtle Conservancy Video
5 Reasons Why You Need This Straw in Your Life
- We made this straw in the USA and it’s awesome. Our super fancy (aka borosilicate) glass is so amazing, it can withstand temperatures below freezing and up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll even find this stuff in the windows of the space shuttle! It’s also known as the same glass used in Pyrex®, but that’s not nearly as exciting as space shuttle glass.
- We’ve crushed down and lab tested all of the glass we use. It was really messy but totally worth it to let you know that there’s nothing nasty inside this glass. Unlike plastic, glass isn’t a porous material so it won’t leach into your mouth or drinks ever!
- You can clean your straw in the dishwasher. Yes, the super hot, sanitizing, easy-clean machine that is the dishwasher. We also sell a cleaning brush in case YOU are the dishwasher.
- You don’t like it? That’s cool. Just let us know and we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Except maybe, “What?? Why NOT!?!?” But really, it’s OK. Even though this rarely happens, we will put it to good use in our loving home.
- Each straw has a lifetime warranty. If you break it on accident (using it as a drumstick is not an accident!) we will replace it. We know you love your straw and will be sad without it, so we aim to make you happy again. Enough said!