About Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
Established in 1977, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) is an international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organization. Their mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world’s oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.
Sea Shepherd uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately balanced ocean ecosystems, Sea Shepherd works to ensure their survival for future generations.
Found only in the waters of the northern Gulf of California, the vaquita is the world’s smallest and rarest cetacean. It is estimated there are less than 20 individuals left, making this little porpoise the most critically endangered of all marine mammals in the world today. SSCS is currently on its 4th campaign to help save the vaquita, Operation Milagro IV. Partnering with the Mexican government, Operation Milagro IV protects the waters of the vaquita refuge, patrols for poachers, removes illegal gillnets, documents issues facing the endangered cetacean, and collects vital data to share with the scientific community.
For information on how you can help, please visit their website at www.seashepherd.org.
Learn about endangered vaquitas in this video:
Buy This Straw to Support Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
Strawesome will donate $7 from each sale of this cause straw to support Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. This glass straw is handmade, starting with our Aquamarine Glass Straw as the ocean and carefully decorating the straw with an adorable gray vaquita taking a swim.
Straw Dimensions: Length: 8″ or 10″, Outer Diameter: 9.5mm (regular) or 12mm (smoothie)
5 Reasons Why You Need This Straw in Your Life
- We made this straw in the USA and it’s awesome. Our super fancy (aka borosilicate) glass is so amazing, it can withstand temperatures below freezing and up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll even find this stuff in the windows of the space shuttle! It’s also known as the same glass used in Pyrex®, but that’s not nearly as exciting as space shuttle glass.
- We’ve crushed down and lab tested all of the glass we use. It was really messy but totally worth it to let you know that there’s nothing nasty inside this glass. Unlike plastic, glass isn’t a porous material so it won’t leach into your mouth or drinks ever!
- You can clean your straw in the dishwasher. Yes, the super hot, sanitizing, easy-clean machine that is the dishwasher. We also sell a cleaning brush in case YOU are the dishwasher.
- You don’t like it? That’s cool. Just let us know and we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Except maybe, “What?? Why NOT!?!?” But really, it’s OK. Even though this rarely happens, we will put it to good use in our loving home.
- Each straw has a lifetime warranty. If you break it on accident (using it as a drumstick is not an accident!) we will replace it. We know you love your straw and will be sad without it, so we aim to make you happy again. Enough said!