About The Marine Conservation Society
We believe too much is being taken out and too much is being put into our seas. Our scientists, campaigners, volunteers, advocates, data experts, fundraisers, divers and researchers are all passionate about creating a sustainable future for our seas.
The Marine Conservation Society is the UK’s leading charity for the protection of our seas, shores and wildlife. For over thirty years MCS has been the voice for the sea for all the fascinating creatures that live beneath the waves, for our breath-taking coastal environment, for all those who make a sustainable living from the sea and for everyone who simply enjoys visiting the beach and our glorious coastline.
Plastics can weather down into smaller pieces and be eaten by marine wildlife and ultimately by us as top consumers. During 2017’s Great British Beach Clean, 339 beach cleans resulted in 255,209 pieces of litter being removed from our coastlines – of these 5000 pieces were disposable single use trays, cutlery and STRAWS.
Our campaign targets the huge use of single use plastic straws in the UK. MCS is the lead partner in the UK of the Lonely Whale foundation’s international campaign to stop unnecessary use of plastic straws.
Simply put…want to see a reduction in single use plastic. So we are challenging YOU to refuse the straw!
All it takes are small changes in our everyday lives to help reduce the UK’s plastic footprint and the amount of plastic on our beaches.
For more information on how you can help make our oceans plastic straw free please visit: https://www.mcsuk.org/clean-seas/straws
Buy This Straw to Support the Marine Conservation Society
Strawesome will donate 33% from each sale of this cause straw to support the Marine Conservation Society; the UK charity* working to ensure our seas are healthy, pollution free and protected. This glass straw is handmade, starting with our Amber Glass Straw, and adding a diving dolphin inspired by MCS’s logo.
Straw Dimensions: Length: 8″ or 10″, Outer Diameter: 9.5mm (regular) or 12mm (smoothie)
5 Reasons Why You Need This Straw in Your Life
- We made this straw in the USA and it’s awesome. Our super fancy (aka borosilicate) glass is so amazing, it can withstand temperatures below freezing and up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll even find this stuff in the windows of the space shuttle! It’s also known as the same glass used in Pyrex®, but that’s not nearly as exciting as space shuttle glass.
- We’ve crushed down and lab tested all of the glass we use. It was really messy but totally worth it to let you know that there’s nothing nasty inside this glass. Unlike plastic, glass isn’t a porous material so it won’t leach into your mouth or drinks ever!
- You can clean your straw in the dishwasher. Yes, the super hot, sanitizing, easy-clean machine that is the dishwasher. We also sell a cleaning brush in case YOU are the dishwasher.
- You don’t like it? That’s cool. Just let us know and we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Except maybe, “What?? Why NOT!?!?” But really, it’s OK. Even though this rarely happens, we will put it to good use in our loving home.
- Each straw has a lifetime warranty. If you break it on accident (using it as a drumstick is not an accident!) we will replace it. We know you love your straw and will be sad without it, so we aim to make you happy again. Enough said!
*Registered charity no: 1004005 (England & Wales); SC037480 (Scotland).