About The Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation
Lake Huron provides clean drinking water, beautiful beaches, amazing recreational opportunities, rare habitats that sustain native species, and helps fuel the economy of shoreline communities. This important resource is facing a number of threats, including invasive species, nutrient imbalance, nuisance algae growth, habitat loss and degradation, and plastic pollution. The Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation, located in Goderich, Ontario, is a charitable organization with the goals of protecting and restoring Lake Huron’s coastal environment, and supporting a healthy coastal ecosystem through education, restoration, and research projects.
Disposable items, like straws, grocery bags, coffee cups and water bottles, contribute to the massive amount of plastic pollution in the Great Lakes. One study found that there were 1.7 million pieces of microplastic per square mile in Lake Erie; a higher density than some parts of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
Your purchase will help the LHCCC to hold shoreline cleanups and monitor the lake for microplastics, along with restoring beaches and coastal wetlands, protecting Species at Risk, and educating youth about Great Lakes conservation. To learn more about the Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation visit www.lakehuron.ca.
Buy This Piping Plover Straw to Support The Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation
This cause straw was inspired by the Piping Plover, a small endangered shorebird that relies on healthy beach and dune ecosystems to survive. Piping Plovers were thought to be locally extinct in the Great Lakes region until 2007, when they nested at Sauble Beach, Ontario, for the first time in over 30 years. Since then, they have nested yearly at different locations along Lake Huron and Lake Ontario shorelines.
Strawesome will donate 33% from each sale of this piping plover straw to support The Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation and its programs.
Choose between 8″ or 10″ lengths in our regular straw width (outer diameter: 9mm).
5 Reasons Why You Need This Piping Plover Straw in Your Life
- We made this straw in the USA and it’s awesome. Our super fancy (aka borosilicate) glass is so amazing, it can withstand temperatures below freezing and up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll even find this stuff in the windows of the space shuttle! It’s also known as the same glass used in Pyrex®, but that’s not nearly as exciting as space shuttle glass.
- We’ve crushed down and lab tested all of the glass we use. It was really messy but totally worth it to let you know that there’s nothing nasty inside this glass. Unlike plastic, glass isn’t a porous material so it won’t leach into your mouth or drinks ever!
- You can clean your straw in the dishwasher. Yes, the super hot, sanitizing, easy-clean machine that is the dishwasher. We also sell a straw cleaning brush in case YOU are the dishwasher.
- You don’t like it? That’s cool. Just let us know and we’ll take it back, no questions asked. Except maybe, “What?? Why NOT!?!?” But really, it’s OK. Even though this rarely happens, we will put it to good use in our loving home.
- Each straw has a lifetime warranty. If you break it on accident (using it as a drumstick is not an accident!) we will replace it. We know you love your straw and will be sad without it, so we aim to make you happy again. Enough said!