Today’s friend interview is Michelle Plucinsky at Furnace Design Studio and The Glass Academy in Dearborn, MI. This is where I learned to use the torch and make glass drinking straws. If you live in the area we highly recommend visiting them during one of their studio shows – like the upcoming Holiday Show on Decemeber 3-4.
1. Are you working on any current projects? Yes, our biggest one is for Greektown Casino in Detroit, MI. Then we also have many non-Profits we are working wth this holiday season doing parties and events with them. Plus a new line of work debuting at our Holiday show during the first week of December.
2. What type of advice would you give other entrepreneurs? Do what you love and are passionate about because this is a game called life and you better pick the right game pieces to play with!!
3. How did you get started in this business? Trial and error and a love of the game. Plus having talent and skill as a craftsman.
4. What is your favorite pastime? Cycling and gardening.
5. Are there any current events that really irk you right now? Not really…..
6. What type of satisfactions do you get out of your work? Many. Working with people on a variety of levels, making great Art, entertaining people and making them happy with beautiful glass art.
7. What motivates you on a day to day basis? My family and spending time outdoors in nature.
8. If you weren’t doing what you are doing, what would you like to do instead? Landscape architect with projects all over the world so I can travel. My work is heading towards this anyway…..
9. How do you motivate people who aren’t close to you to see your vision. If I’ve just met them, i find out what they do and relate my work to them in words they understand. Most of our clients are pretty left brain, it takes creative talking to win them over.
10. You’ve got $10 to buy lunch – where do you go? Red Pepper Deli in Northville and order a power smoothie.
11. What do you normally think about right before falling asleep? I usually read motivational books before bed so which ever idea I was reading about at that time……
12. What is your guilty pleasure? Better made HOT BBQ chips. yum!
Many thanks to Michelle for being a great inspiration and friend to me!