"I am the artist, owner, president, and mom behind Strawesome. I have a passion for creativity, health, my family, and the environment. One thing that I personally love about my business is that it allows me to incorporate all these passions seamlessly, giving me joy and purpose in my work. I am far from perfect, but I do my best and have as much fun as I can while doing it. One thing I take a little pride in is answering the phone as often as possible so that customers get the best service possible. I hate it when I call customer service and get lost in menus or connected to someone that is not able to solve my concerns. Here at Strawesome, you are talking to someone that can take your order, make a decision, and/or cause a result quickly. You are not just another number, you matter! As an artist, I am consistently challenging my creativity to stay fresh and unique. I hope you value and enjoy receiving a functional piece of art that isn't cranked out in some factory, but rather made with passion and purpose by someone dedicated to add some flair to life."
15 Questions with Daedra Surowiec, the Artist and President of Strawesome
1. What is your preferred method of communication?
"I love texting on my smart phone because I want to get to the point. With a child on my lap or talking away in my other ear, it isn't convenient to sit down at the computer and type or talk on the phone. Call me sometime and you’ll hear for yourself!"
2. If you could choose your last meal on earth, what would it be?
"Definitely Middle Eastern cuisine: Fatoosh salad, fresh celery/pineapple juice and hummus!"
3. What type of advice would you give other entrepreneurs?
"Never give up, never be afraid to ask for help, and always be willing to accept constructive criticism."
4. What is your favorite pastime?
"I LOVE reading. I’d rather curl up to a good book than watch television."
5. Are there any current events that really irk you right now?
"Health-washing, green-washing, and pink-washing. An organization that tries to make something seem better than it is drives me insane!"
6. What level of satisfaction do you get out of your work?
"It is one of the best feelings in the world and highly satisfying knowing that what I love to do helps someone else."
7. What is your daily motivation?
"Being a role model for my sons and demonstrating that it is possible for a stay-at-home mom to have it all."
8. If you weren’t running Strawesome, what would you like to do instead?
"I'd love to be a photographer!"
9. Where do you buy your groceries?
"We get most of our produce from a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm, our grass-fed meat, eggs and dairy from farmers near us, and we shop for anything else we can't get regularly at Plum Market and Trader Joes. All of it is as close to "as nature intended" as possible!"
10. What’s the longest period of time you’ve gone without taking a shower?
"4 days while we were camping in California. When I did get a shower it felt glorious!"
11. If you could be any superhero, who would you be?
12. What made you decide to do what you’re doing?
"Making glass drinking straws simultaneously fulfilled many of my desires and interests including expressing my creativity, being a stay-at-home mom, making a difference, and healthy living."
13. What is your favorite quote?
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." — Saint Augustine
14. If you had enough money to retire right now, what would you do?
"Honestly, I don’t see myself retiring. I love my business too much! See ya when I’m 95!"
15. What is your greatest asset?
"I do not procrastinate at all. I want to get things done as soon as possible."